Spotlight: Michelle Abbott on Writing and Music

Spotlight: Michelle Abbott on Writing and Music

“Playlists ” – Michelle Abbott

Although I can’t listen to music while I write because I find it too distracting; I do like to create playlists for my books. Sometimes a song will inspire me to write a scene, or I’ll come across a song that perfectly fits a scene I’ve already written. For all of my books I think there is a song that sums up the overall theme.

JustStayFront - Copy

For Just Stay:

For In Chains it is this:

For Locked Together it is:

And you heard it here first! This song is the theme for my current W.I.P:

My full playlists can be found on my website

Are you inspired by music?

About Michelle Abbott :

Michelle Abbott lives in the UK and hates describing herself in 3rd person. She’s a self-published author who loves to write new adult romance about heroes who begin as the underdog and are protective of their girl. She’s an avid reader of romance, is addicted to coffee and loves wine and chocolate, so yeah, not the most healthy eating and drinking habits 🙂 She spends way too much time online when she should be writing. She collects teddy bears and occasionally knits a couple of rows on a sweater she started years ago, which she may eventually finish in time to wear for her funeral.

Where to Find Her :

Amazon Author Page:

Helen Treharne

I’m Helen Treharne, fiction author an creator of The Sophie Morgan Vampire Series. I live in South Wales with my husband, young son and rescue cat.
My books are available at all major digital retailers with soft back copies also available from Amazon, Createspace and other stores.
When I’m not writing fiction, I blog at, sharing my experiences of being a busy parent jugging working, writing, and more. Follow me there for my personal insights.

1. September 22, 2014 / 10:11 am

Thank you for hosting me, Helen. I’m also a tea lover 🙂

• September 22, 2014 / 10:22 am

My pleasure! I think music is so inspiring and although, like you, I could never listen while writing, although is generally have a feel for a soundtrack in my head. In Relative Strangers it was : A Summer Place (that actually gets a mention), Back in Baby’s Arms (Patsy Cline) and Keep Myself Awake (Black Lab). I will leave it to readers to get which “scenes”…… And yes tea is AWESOME

2. September 23, 2014 / 2:30 am

Playlists for your books… That’s a fascinating idea, Michelle! Helen, thanks for hosting!

• September 24, 2014 / 11:47 am

Thanks for stopping by, Tamie. I thought it would be fun for readers to hear the music that inspired the stories.

3. harmonykentonline
    September 23, 2014 / 12:15 pm

I love the idea of playlists for your books 🙂 Great post, Michelle 🙂
    Thanks so much for hosting Michelle, today, Helen! 🙂

4. September 25, 2014 / 2:45 am

This is a very creative post, Michelle! Like you, I can’t listen to music while I write – I thought it was because I’m male and can’t multitask! 😉 I think that is a great idea – to link music to your books and to scenes within a book. Thanks for hosting Michelle, Helen!

• September 25, 2014 / 8:27 am

Thanks for stopping by, John. I think music adds another dimension to the book and it can also be a useful marketing tool 🙂

• September 25, 2014 / 7:15 pm

I totally agree, I think it can really give readers a feel for the tone of a book, for example on promo videos. I wonder if anyone has ever published a book with a recommended playlist to accompany reading?

5. October 1, 2014 / 1:57 am

Thank you for hosting Michelle on her “Spotlight” Author Blog Tour.

Congratulations Michelle on your tour. I am now reading Just Stay and enjoying it very much.

• October 1, 2014 / 5:52 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Kathryn. I’m glad you’re enjoying Just Stay 🙂

6. October 1, 2014 / 5:57 pm

Very much feeling the love for Michelle here, it’s great!! We creative types clearly all like our music – perhaps that reflects why we write, most authors are sponges who absorb every bit of stimulation around them – music, conversations, films, books, adverts, nature. I’m a big holey sponge, full of “stuff” just waiting for the right story so it can escape.